Today I had the pleasure of presenting a session called ‘Link Building Dos and Don’ts’ at SMX Stockholm. I have to say I think I’ve fallen a little bit in love with Sweden. So far it’s been a great experience in a wonderful city, making some great new friends in the search marketing world J
Rather than base my presentation on a bunch of steadfast rules, I decided to select my ‘Dos and Don’ts’ from some of the link building lessons that I’ve learnt along the way. As we all know, it’s been a pretty turbulent year when it comes to link building. With Aprils’ penguin update and the unnatural link warnings sent via webmaster tools, we are certainly in a time where link building is growing up and changing fast. On that note I also wanted to include some points on how we can go about future-proofing our SEO and how link building is starting to move towards, and learn from traditional marketing.
I’ve copied in the slides below, but to summarise the points I decided to focus on were:
- Don’t Link Build Blind – Do Learn to Analyse You Link Profile
- Don’t Believe Everything You Read – Test it Instead
- Don’t Get Bored – Always Try New Things
- Don’t Forget Your Product – Do Find Ways to be the Best
- Don’t Assume Anyone’s Interested – Do Spend Time Finding People who will be
Enjoy the slides and as always please do leave a comment if you have any questions!