Install Adobe Air and use Tweetdeck in Ubuntu Linux

I’m really liking Tweetdeck in Ubuntu! It relies on Adobe Air so here’s a quick “how to install” with Adobe Air and Ubuntu Linux.

1) Install Adobe Air in Ubuntu Linux

Go to the Adobe Air download page, and download the latest .bin file. (AdobeAIRInstaller.bin). Save the downloaded file in your Home folder. Next, run this command from Terminal:

chmod +x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

Now run this command:

sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

Follow the instructions and quite quickly you’ll end up seeing this screen:

Install Adobe Air in Ubuntu

2) Install Tweetdeck:

Go to the Tweetdeck site, and scroll down to the “Download TweetDeck beta for Linux (manual installation)” section.

Click the “TweetDeck AIR file” link and open with Adobe Air:

tweetdeck install Ubuntu

After clicking install, you’ll see:

tweetdeck installation Ubuntu Linux

And finally, Tweetdeck arrives!

tweetdeck on Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

Props to Tom for showing me Tweetdeck today :-) You can follow him on Twitter here and me on Twitter here!

34 thoughts on “Install Adobe Air and use Tweetdeck in Ubuntu Linux

1. I created a video tutorial to install TweetDeck :)

2. Fred says:

What theme are you using?

3. coxy says:

Thanks for this – it was useful. You are linking to an old version of the installer now, but that’s not a problem as the app prompts for an update. However, you’ll be screwed when they remove or move that direct link from their server.

4. @coxy – thanks for the heads up. Post updated!

5. Brian says:

I tried doing this on a fresh install of Kubuntu. For some reason I get an error message when trying to install Adobe Air that says I need gnome-keyring or Kwallet. Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do? I’m pretty fresh to this whole Linux thing.

6. Brian says:

Here is the actual message verbatim.

Adobe AIR could not be installed. Either gnome-keyring or Kwallet must be installed prior to installing Adobe AIR.

7. George says:

Thank you. Tweetdeck are absolutely hopeless in every regard at providing usable information for their users.

8. George says:

Not working for me. Says cmod is: command not found

9. @George – try chmod – that’s the command we’re using in this post:

chmod +x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

10. Mike says:

Adobe Air installs fine, but no manual link at all on the TweetDeck site. please help.

11. Rodney says:

I got this “[sudo] password for rodney:” how do I make the password?

12. dicotyledon says:

Thanks for direct link Mike, TweetDeck site didn't want to give up the goodies for me!

13. Steph says:

Thank you. The TweetDeck site wasn't working.

14. Jer says:

they removed that link so you can get tweetdeck on your ubuntu box anymore! that sucks!

15. susanita says:

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. :D

16. Felipe says:

Hi.. I am having an issue… I am trying to install Adobe AIR but all I get is: “An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator”.

I have tried just about anything before issuing the command: “sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin” like closing firefox, making sure the /opt/Adobe Air directory does not exist.

Actually Adobe Air was working fine.. up until I decided to run “Computer Janitor” thats when Adobe Air started to get messed up…

Please shed some light over this issue…

I will really appreciate it.

17. Michaeljwjr says:

Felipe the SAME THING happened to me! I ran computer janitor, and it messed everything up.

18. Michaeljwjr says:

Fixed it! Yay!

Felipe Run:

$sudo dpkg –purge adobe-certs

then

$chmod +x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin $sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin

19. yasemin says:

thanks! that worked finally!

20. yasemin says:

well its sayin now: “Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “atk-bridge”: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libatk-bridge.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64″

what should i do?

21. MiaD says:

Thank you Richard for the installation guide and thank you Jer for the link! Now I’ve successfully installed TweetDeck.

22. Paul says:

Thanks. It was a snap

23. ipunk says:

tanks so much brother…:-)

24. irrel says:

error,,, helllp me!!!!

irrel@irrel-laptop:~$ chmod +x AdobeAIRInstaller.bin irrel@irrel-laptop:~$ sudo ./AdobeAIRInstaller.bin [sudo] password for irrel: Segmentation fault irrel@irrel-laptop:~$

25. swukjay says:

Wow! after searching and trying many suggestions this one just worked,simple easy to follow for newbies like me.. keep up the good work !!

26. Arturo Mejia Marmol says:

Very cool :)

27. There is already a package for Adobe AIR that you can install using Apt Get. After installing the package you can install TweetDeck going to the official site and following the instructions on this article.

28. Marianna says:

I tried to do this in 234567098764786 different ways, different was via the terminal as well and I just can’t get it to work!!!!!

29. Bob Stoner says:

Originally Posted by zerwas Go to http://get.adobe.com/air/ and choose the version “.bin”. Go to your Downloads folder, rename the downloaded file from .bin to .sh so it looks like this:

AdobeAIRInstaller.sh Now right click the file -> Properties -> Permissions and check the last option “Execute as an application”. Click on the file and follow the instructions. From now on, you can click on any .air file to install it.

30. Luis says:

I have an issue installing adobeair, the systems request to instal gnome keyring or Kwallet before installind AdobeAIR, I have installed KWalletManager from the Ubuntu Software Center but it still doesn’t recognize it and keep sending the same message What can i do? thanks